OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is a teaching qualification which has a teaching/training practice requirement. It is an ‘in-service’ qualification designed for those working or wishing to work as teachers/trainers in England. You must have access to 100 hours of teaching and there must be a minimum of eight observations of practice, totalling a minimum of eight hours. The objective of the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification is to give you the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills needed to confirm occupational competence. This includes the planning and delivering of schemes of work and sessions, negotiation of individual goals, different teaching and learning strategies, communication issues and exploring a range of assessment practices. Additionally, optional units are available allowing you to explore areas directly relevant to your own teaching role. The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is appropriate for teachers, tutors, trainers, lecturers and instructors who may be working within an FE college, Adult and Community Learning Centre or Learning Provider and for those delivering work-based training such as within voluntary, community, private and public organisations.
OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification is equivalent to the Certificate of Education (CertEd). It is also a good alternative to the Postgraduate Certificate in Education. This Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training will enable you to apply for Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS).
Qualification Structure and Content
OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training qualification consists of 4 mandatory units plus 8 optional units, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and the recommended Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for this qualification is a minimum of 360. The maximum guided learning hours will be determined by the optional units selected. To achieve the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training, you must achieve a minimum of 120 credits; 75 credits must be achieved from the mandatory units in Group A, plus a minimum of 45 credits from the optional units in Group B. A minimum of 61 credits must be at Level 5 (therefore a minimum of 6 optional credits must be achieved at level 5).
Group A - Mandatory Units (75 Credits):
Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training (Level 4) (20 credits)
Theories, principles and models in education and training (Level 5) (20 credits)
Developing teaching, learning and assessment in education and training (Level 5) (20 credits)
Wider professional practice in education and training (Level 5) (15 credits)
Group B - Mandatory Units (minimum 45 Credits):
- Develop and prepare resources for learning and development (Level 4) (6 credits)
- Develop learning and development programmes (Level 4) (6 credits)
- Equality and diversity (Level 4) (6 credits)
- Evaluating learning programmes (Level 4) (3 credits)
- Identify the learning needs of organisations (Level 4) (6 credits)
- Manage learning and development in groups (Level 4) (6 credits)
- Understanding and managing behaviours in a learning environment (Level 5) (6 credits)
- Action research (Level 5) (15 credits)
Duration & Delivery
- 10 months
- Online learning (Learning management system & live webinars)
The programme is awarded OTHM - an awarding body by the UK Government’s regulator - Ofqual. The Education Training Foundation has approved OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Business Management for accreditation.
- OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Teaching and Learning
- Students successfully completing this qualification, will be eligible to progress to the status of Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS). This is conferred through a separate and subsequent process called professional formation and is administered by the Society for Education and Training (SET) which is the professional body for those working as teachers and trainers in the sector.